Like its author (and the beer), Heineken in Africa seems to travel well. The investigation has been presented at beer and literature festivals, government ministries, universities, public health conferences, cultural events, bookstores and breweries in more than 30 cities in 12 countries on 3 continents – and counting. Van Beemen was invited to give presentations at several prestigious places, such as the Dutch ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Royal African Society in London and Sciences-Po Paris.
Here are the upcoming events. All US and Canada events are free and open to the general public, unless mentioned otherwise.
- Sep 3, 2019 – Washington DC – 7 pm
Book launch and presentation at the Potter’s House (1658 Columbia Road Northwest). Co-hosted with Friends of the Congo. Please register here.
- Sep 4, 2019 – Philadelphia – 7 pm
Book launch and presentation at Wooden Shoe Books (704 South Street), after party at 10 pm at Tattooed Mom (530 South Street) at 10 pm Please register here.
- Sep 5, 2019 – New York City – 6:30 – 8:00 pm
Africa, Alcohol, Human Rights & Public Health
Presentations and discussion with Olivier van Beemen, minister Onleilove Alston, Nicholas Freudenberg and César Rodríguez Garavito at the CUNY Graduate School of Public Health & Health Policy (55 W 125th St). Please register here.
- Sep 6, 2019 – New York City – 2:00 – 3:15 pm
Guest lecture at NYU Stern Center for Business and Human Rights (not public).
- 6 September 2019 – New York City (Lower Manhattan) – 8:30-9:45 am
Vital Talks Breakfast Event (with David Jernigan and Diana Silver) at Vital Strategies (100 Broadway, Floor 4). Please register here.
- 7 September 2019 – New York City (Lower Manhattan) – 7:00-8:30 pm
Book launch, presentation and signings at Bluestockings Bookstore (172, Allen Street).
- 8 September 2019 – Boston – 7:00-8:30 pm
Book launch, presentation and signings at Trident Books (338 Newbury Street).
- 9 September 2019 – Bridgewater MA – 12:20 – 2 pm
- 10 September 2019 – Halifax NS – 6.30-8:00 pm
Apéro des idées: Heineken in Africa. Book launch, presentation and signing at Propeller Brewing Company, 2015 Gottingen St, Halifax. Hosted by Alliance Française Halifax. Presentation in English, slides in French. Questions can be asked in French. Please register here or here.
- 12 September 2019 – Montréal – 6-8 pm
Book launch, presentation and signing at Librairie Le Port de Tête (in French).
- 13 September 2019 – Toronto – 7 pm
Book launch, presentation and signing at Rorschach Brewery (1001 Eastern Ave).
- 14 September 2019 – Ottawa – 7-9 pm
Book launch, presentation and signing at Octopus Books (116 Third Avenue). Please register here.
- 16 September 2019 – Seattle – 7-9 pm
Book launch, presentation and signing at Queen Anne Books (1811 Queen Anne Ave North)
- 17 September 2019 – Portland OR – 6:30-8:30 pm
Book launch, presentation and signing at The Upper Lip (720 Southwest Ankeny Street)
- 18 September 2019 – San Francisco (to be confirmed)
Previous events include
- 6 Augustus 2019 – London – CAMRA Great British Beer Festival
Lecture, Olympia London, tickets here.
- 9 July 2019 – Edinburgh – Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
Lecture (hosted with SHAAP). More info here.
- 8 July 2019 – Leeds Business School
Keynote speaker at the UN PRME (Principles for Responsible Management Education) UK and Ireland Conference, Leeds University Business School (closed event).
- 5 July 2019 – London – CIJ Summer Conference
Lecture at the Centre for Investigative Journalism Summer Conference. Goldsmiths University of London. Tickets here.
- 21 June 2019 – Amsterdam – Wilde Gist / Carnivale Brettanomyces
Lecture at Waalse Kerk. Tickets here.
- 19 June 2019 – Ljubljana
Presentation at LEAHP Summer School (closed event)
- 8 June 2019 – Paris
Paris Beer Week, Conférence au Salon de l’Ivre, Brasserie de l’Être, Plus d’infos ici.
- 12 May 2019 – Leiden
TEDx Talk at Scheltema Leiden. Tickets here. Talk here.
- 29 April 2019 – Lyon Bière Festival
“Une enquête qui fait grand bruit : Heineken en Afrique.” Conférence/débat animée par Emmanuel Gillard.
- 26 April 2019 – Copenhagen
Seminar “Brewing Development?” at Danish Institute for Social Studies, with Peer Schouten and Morten Koch Andersen.
- 25 April 2019 – Oslo
Bokbad (book launch) Heineken i Afrika, at Kulturhuset, please register here.
- 24 April 2019 – Stockholm
Discussion at Global Café: Time for war, grab a cold one. Tickets and info here.
- 23 April 2019 – Den Haag
De Tegel Awards (Dutch equivalent to Pulitzers) at Koninklijke Schouwburg (Royal Theatre). Olivier was one of the winners.
- 16 March 2019 – Paris Salon du Livre
Salon du Livre Paris, rencontre “Le reel et son double“.